Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Onward, through the fog...

My friend Lee Anne (all around angel and wife to Buddy-sometimes-crew-sometimes-Captain of the Yankee Freedom 2) and I once exchanged foolish DRTO questions...
One of which was a complaint from a visitor "I didn't see many pretty fish when I was out snorkeling."
Oddly enough, working in the bookstore I have heard this complaint several times this past week.
They come in complaining about not not seeing turtles or pretty fish, so I ask where they went and what they *did* see...
Most of the time they say they only saw lots of seagrass...
Hmmm. Guess what- You didn't listen when the on-board naturalist told you to snorkle along the moat wall or over in the coaling dock pilings and you just flailed about in the beds of seagrass off the swim beach.
Hence, I have no help for you...
But... Interestingly, an afternoon or two ago, as people were getting on the boat to depart the island, a school of large (3' to 5') tarpon started cruising the shallows near the boat.
It was as if someone was standing in the wings directing the show:
"Ok... Visitors are on the dock...
Let's get the sooties and the noddys in the air... Good.
Nice- Allright- The frigates are on-station near the light house... Good.
Ok... Cue the tarpons... and... swim! Ok... Great show everyone..."


Amazing show, guys.

TBG out-

No comments: