Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hong Kong, Shanzhen and Beyond...

My passport is running out of space for the C&I guys to stamp.

Chinese Visa- one whole page
NY to London - 2 stamps
London to NY, 2 stamps
Jacksonville to Pittsburgh 2 stamps (just kidding)
Jax to Beijing, 2 stamps
Shanghai to Macao, 2 stamps
Macao to Hong Kong, 2 stamps
Hong Kong to ShenZhen, 2 stamps
ShenZhen to Hong Kong, 2 stamps
Hong Kong to Shanghai 2 stamps

And that's just from the end of September to today. I still have to go back from Shanghai to Hong Kong again, then HK to Jax... and who knows what December will bring?

Well- the trip to Shenzhen was great- the company I visited was very cool.
I got a good hands-on peek at their product and their production process.
Very high QC and methods.

I want to re-visit Shenzhen- it is a very modern city- very clean, well planned.
The factory rep I spoke to told me the city is very young- only 30 years old,
so the city planners designed great arterial roads, subways, and wide streets to avoid the traffic problems.
It is a hub for some high tech industries, including most microelectronics and technology production firms. My rep, Melissa also told me there is a huge electronics market in Shenzhen. Very much like Akihabara in the old days.
I did a little research on the place she told me about, Sai Ge...
I am going to have to go back.

-----

But first- Back to Shanghai.
I'm on the Hong Kong - Shanghai express train... 20 hours through scenic south China. I'll have a window seat and my camera, so expect an interesting post when I get back to Shanghai.

Why the train, you ask? Because anyone can fly.
It's also cheap, and you all know what a miserly bastard I am. ;)
Cheap- like USD$70 round trip on a soft sleeper.
(As opposed to USD$400 RT for Marginal Airlines.)
I'll take the interesting trip. I've seen enough airports.

Take care, Constant Readers...
And if you don't hear from me by Saturday, Call the Coast Guard.

TBG out- Really out.

No comments: