Friday, October 02, 2009

Interesting Encounter and Quote, NHL Premiere 2009

We had been drinking pretty heavily...
(Most of my best stories start that way...)
....And we had been thrown out of the Lobby Bar at the Holiday Inn, so our group of ne'er-do-wells and Hockey Hoodlums had retreated to a set of chairs in the lobby, after taking our last round of beverages with us as we left the bar.

A Drunk Finnish Guy stumbles by and starts hitting on one of the NHL Girls (Amanda) at our table...
He sits down on the arm of the chair already occupied by the (horrified) Aliya...
He is drooling and leering, using broken English to chat up Amanda- who has gone deer-in-the-headlights semi-catatonic, barely able to conspicuously show off her wedding ring to the DFG, while he unconsciously waves his ass in Aliya's face.

DFG: "You know, I am thinking that we should go downtown. It is wonderful."
Amanda: "But...but...I'm married!"
DFG: "But of course! So am I! It's perfect!"

He notices BillM and Yours Truly becoming...how shall we say...Concerned? Protective?
Close enough...

Drunk Finnish Guy: "Oh, my English is not so very good..."
NHL Bill: "Well, my Spinach isn't very good either..." And as he realized what he said he looked at me and says "but I yam what I yam."
I laughed so hard I think I peed in my pants a little bit. The ridiculousness of his statement immediately took all the wind out of my sails, and probably saved Drunk Finnish Guy a certain thumping and a perhaps a bit of reconstructive surgery.
The DFG staggered off to drain his lizard, leaving all of us aghast at his bizarre behavior.

I'm going to have to work on my conversational Spinach, in case this happens again after tomorrow's game...

TBG - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No comments: