Sunday, January 22, 2012

Signs Aren't Working?

The Czar of Muscovy (Dread, awful, etc) over at The Gormogons highlighted an incident over in Spartanburg SC.
A pair of choirboys attempted to turn a Waffle House into an ATM, an occurence that a little Google Fu will tell you is a quite common pastime for said chiorboys nationwide. Mr.Concealed Carry was on hand, got the drop on them and tried to hold them at gunpoint, whereupon one of yon choirboys decided to test Mr. CC's resolve and got hisself ventilated.

Story here.
If you read the originating article, don't let the "waffle shop" identifier fool ya... It was a Waffle House.
I believe they are trying to introduce an element of plausible deniability since Waffle House has quite the reputation as a "gun free" zone, sorry, "criminally enabled" zone.

I've noticed it across the country... More often than not, WH has the famous No Gun/Weapons on premises signs prominently displayed...
There was one on the door of the Ohio WH where I ate last week...
Had I been carrying I'd have had to go elsewhere... I would be committing felony trespass by ignoring the sign, and I definitely wouldn't leave a firearm in a rental car outside a fast food joint at 1:00 am.

The Czar hits the nail on the head:
See how firearms create more violence? Now there’s one more fatality. If there was effective gun control, that customer wouldn’t have been armed, and instead there would be only...wait. No, that can’t be right.

Okay, if there was more effective gun control, instead of the customer killing one evildoer, there would have been only a mere...wait, no; that still results in more innocent people killed.

How about this: thanks to ineffective gun control laws, a perfectly innocent person elected to kill a person who was about to...heck, that’s an even worse way to put it.

Hmm. Seems no matter how you phrase the typical pro-gun control argument, this problem about no dead innocent people and only one dead bad guy keeps ruining it. (emphasis mine -TBG)













(Hmmm... Interesting- They gave me a knife so I could eat my country ham...
Seems like they are actually HELPING me violate their policy.)

More often than not Waffle House has a no guns policy. It is probably left to a franchisee's discretion whether to post a "Armed Robbers Welcome" sign on the door, and the law-abiding concealed-carry community has noticed... See here, here and here. Practice your Google Fu for many many many more examples....

I'll be very curious to see how this plays out...
There is a good possibility that Mr.Concealed Carry could very well wind up on felony charges if the sheriff in Spartanburg is an "Only Ones" aficionado, of if the local state attorney wants to make a big splash...
Regardless...
I like me some Waffle House, but they are really testing me...

TBG- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

3 comments:

The Big Guy said...

DAMMIT! I did it again!

Sorry Borepatch- I deleted your comment instead of posting it...
I keep fat-fingering the comment approval button on my 'phone.

Fortunately I keep archives of everything-

Thus spake The 'Patch:

"The Sheriff has already said he's not charging the customer. Seems that the Sheriff - unlike Massachusetts' dumb-as-a-rock Attorney General Martha Coakley - encourages self help among the law abiding.

But yeah, I don't much go to Waffle House any more. Too bad. "

Sorry dude,
TFFBG

Old NFO said...

Good post, good points! :-)

Tam said...

In Indiana, those signs have no more legal weight than a Doonesbury comic strip.